Description of Role
This multiple Queen’s Award winning company is headquartered in the UK, from where it designs, manufactures and sells scientific instruments for the measurement of powder properties. Its products are recognised globally as the leaders in their field and are utilised by many multinational customers around the world in sectors as diverse as pharmaceutical, toner, ceramics, food and chemical.
The primary responsibility of this role is to lead the mechanical / systems design activities in the company, working alongside a small team of software and electronics engineers. The company is about to embark on the design of its next generation product and so you will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to a high profile technology that is expected to be class leading for many years.
As the lead mechanical engineer you will be responsible for all mechanical / electromechanical design activities, encompassing drives, guide-ways, structures, force and position transducers, and many other interesting aspects associated with the design of a sophisticated analytical instrument.
- Develop mechanical design concepts and drawings for the company’s next generation of powder characterisation instruments.
- Manage design activities at each stage, through detailing, prototyping and commercial introduction.
- Work alongside colleagues in electronics, control systems and software engineering, as well as those in the lab for testing ideas and new products.
- Manage the design of hardware through professional documentation and project meetings, in-line with the company’s existing practices.
- Develop accessories and other peripherals to compliment primary products.
- Experience in the design of linear guides, drives, motors/controllers, torque transducers, force transducers, position measurement, servo-velocity and stepper motors, actuators, etc, for lab instrument scale (small mechanism) products.
- Experience in basic pneumatics, humidity and temperature control, moulding and casting technologies for metals and plastics.
- Expert knowledge in the use of computer aided design software, such as AutoCAD.
- Experience in the design of control systems and a good understanding of the function of electronics and microprocessor based hardware.
- High standard of documentation required both in terms of design management and internal and external communications, consistent with company practices and its ISO accreditation.
This role requires a person who really enjoys engineering design, has a sound knowledge of engineering principles and a positive and ‘can do’ attitude to design challenges.
Whilst the role will require close co-operation with many company departments, it requires the ability to work independently once product and design specifications are agreed.
This role is open to both experienced and newly qualified engineers with knowledge of electromechanical systems design and emplementation.
Please contact Jonathan Pearse on 01279 657716 or email email@example.com
Job ref: 9870
Mechanical / System Engineer | to £45K